I finally got my first vaccination and the lethargy is making me crave something hearty and homecooked. So what requires simple ingredients, is easy to prepare, and tastes wholesomely delicious? Braised Chicken with Mushrooms of course! Most Chinese households have their own variation of this classic dish because chicken+shiitake mushrooms+oyster sauce is a winning combo every time. The version I grew up with also includes carrots for added natural sweetness.
Braised Chicken with Mushrooms
Serves: 3-4 pax
Cook & Prep Time: 35minutes
3/4 of a whole chicken (roughly 1-1.5kg)
8 dried shiitake mushrooms *Soaked for at least an hour, make sure to keep the soaking liquid!
1 can of button mushrooms (or any mushrooms of your choice, straw mushrooms )
4 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon of cooking oil
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
0.5 cup of water
Salt & pepper to taste
You may use a work or a pot as long as there's a cover.
Cooking Directions : 1. Peel & roughly mince the garlic and shallots.
2. Peel and cut the carrots into large bite-sized pieces.
3. Open the canned mushrooms and drain the liquid.
4. Heat wok over high heat, add both oils and stir in minced garlic & shallots.
5. Once the garlic & shallots start to brown, add in the chicken and stir for 2 minutes.
5. Add mushrooms (including shiitake soaking liquid), carrots and sauces. Stir thoroughly and add 0.5 cups of water.
6. Cover and simmer over low heat for at least 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure chicken pieces are evenly braised.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This dish is best enjoyed with rice and a simple vegetable stir fry. This time I opted for green dragon chives with garlic.
There's definitely something comforting about homecooked food as I instantly felt better after having this! I'm sure you'll enjoy the umami-rich sauce and juicy pieces of chicken too so be sure to add this to your cook list.
Till the next cook, stay safe & makan well!